Youth Summer Mission Trip
I’m excited to share with you an opportunity God has provided for this summer to join with the Potter’s House Ministry in Romania! Below I have put together a lot of information for you to look at and I would like to ask you to begin praying and seeking the Lord to see if it is His will for you to join our ministry team.
WHY ROMANIA & HOW DID YOU LEARN ABOUT THE POTTER’S HOUSE?
Beginning last summer I had a conversation with Andy LaBreche (a missionary St. John Mennonite supports who is serving in Romania) and he shared with me about a wonderful ministry called the Potter’s House led by Oano and Nelu Ciucure. During the summer months Oana provides a VBS program to the 30 plus disadvantaged children they serve and Andy said this might be something to consider for next summer. Well next summer is almost here and after communicating with Oana, through Andy’s help, indeed she has a need for a group to come and lead a VBS and has given us a wonderful opportunity to lead! To learn more about the Potter’s House please read the latest news letter that was just sent out: The Potter's House Newsletter 2017.
WHAT ARE THE DATES OF THIS TRIP?
June 29 - July 9
This is the proposed plan and I want you to know that the dates could change by a day or two.
Here’s the general idea:
- Depart Thursday, June 29 (flying out late probably)
- Arrive Friday, June 30 (arrive early Romanian Time)
- Planning Days Saturday and Sunday, July 1-2
- VBS Monday thru Friday, July 3-7
- Sightseeing Saturday, July 8
- Depart Romania Sunday, July 9
WHAT IS THE MINISTRY FOCUS OF THIS TRIP?
We have been asked to develop, plan, and execute a 5 day VBS program from start to finish.
The program runs from 10 a.m. till 6 p.m. and the usual flow is:
- 10-12:00 - Connecting with children until lunch
- 12-1:00 - Lunch w/ children
- 1-5:00 - Formal VBS program
- 5-6:00 - Dinner with children
Additional projects (in addition to the VBS program) may include:
- In the walk-up attics at the Potters House there’s a need for shelves to be built and hung in order to provide additional space to sort medical supplies, clothes, toys, and other items they distribute.
- Once the shelves are done then there will be a need to help sort and label and organize the many items.
- Additional projects are possible…
WHAT KIND OF ROLES WILL THERE BE TO FILL? WILL I HAVE TO TEACH?
What’s great about this opportunity is how many different roles we are going to need to fill. In a VBS there will be a need for a few teachers but there’s many other kinds of roles we will need to fill like someone to lead crafts, games, skits, songs, and of course snacks!
Really we are looking for students who love Jesus, love others, and have a servant’s heart who is ready and willing to serve!
WHAT KIND OF HOUSING AND ACCOMODATIONS SHOULD I EXPECT?
There is a house built for host teams like us to stay in. Beds, baths, and showers are all available for up to 25 occupants. If there is a need to house additional students, Andy and Pam LaBreche are willing to open there home which would accommodate up to 7 additional students or leaders. Andy lives approximately 2 miles from the Potter’s House.
HOW MUCH WILL THE TRIP COST?
Estimated total cost: $2,000
Here’s the breakdown:
- This will obviously be the most expensive part of the trip. Until we purchase the tickets we will not know the cost, but tickets to Romania during the summer usually cost between $1,200 to $1,500.
Food and Lodging:
- Oana is planning to use a catering firm (don’t think fancy☺) that supplies meals for the school year. So to cover food, electric, and water we estimate $30 to $40 per person per day.
- We are planning a sightseeing day which will entail taxi fees and a bus for the day. The estimated cost per person is between $60 – $80.
Training and Planning Meetings:
- It will be important to count the cost of going on this trip and it’s not only a financial cost you will need to consider but it will also be a time cost. Of course there’s the time we will be in Romania to consider but in addition there will be several VBS planning meetings before we leave.
WILL I NEED A VISA AND PASSPORT?
You will NOT need a VISA for this trip but you WILL need a Passport.
- Getting your passport SOON will be a very important step!
- Passport processing takes between four to six weeks, however, if you choose an expedited service, you can get your passport in as few as 3 weeks. There is a $60 fee for expedited requests.
- For more information on how to get a passport visit: https://www.usa.gov/passport
ARE YOU CONSIDERING JOINING OUR TEAM?
With an overseas trip there are a lot of details and planning that is involved (one being buying a plane ticket, securing a passport, etc.) so again, please be praying about this opportunity and as a starting point I would like to know who is interested and considering joining our team. I’m not asking for commitments yet, but I do need to have an idea of how many students are interested because it will greatly affect housing, transportation, adult leaders, and programming. Please text Paul Ginther 419-348-8783 with your name and a short note regarding your level of interest. If you have questions please don’t hesitate to write, call, or text.
419-348-8783 (call or text)