Statement of Faith
WHAT WE HOLD AS COMMON CHRISTIAN FAITH
We believe as an evangelical body in the historic statements of faith as expressed in the Apostolic and Nicene Creeds. In specific:
1. We believe that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are wholly inspired by God, infallible and the only supreme and final authority in faith and life (Psalm 19 and 119; II Tim. 3:16,17; II Pet. 1:19-21).
2. We believe in One God, eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; II Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6).
3. We believe in the deity of Jesus Christ, the only begotten of the Father full of grace and truth (John 1), born of the virgin Mary (Matt. 1:22, 23), in His perfect and sinless humanity (II Cor. 5:21; I Pet. 2:22), His atoning death and the cleansing power of His blood (Rom. 3:21-26; Heb. 9:11ff), His bodily resurrection from the dead (Luke 24), His ascension into heaven (Acts 1) and His present life there for us as our High Priest and Advocate (Heb. 7:25 and Ch. 8). We believe in His personal, triumphant return according to His promise in the Scriptures (Matt. 24; Acts 1:11).
4. We believe that man was created in the image of God as male and female (Gen. 1:26); that he sinned, and thereby incurred the death which is separation from God (Gen. 3; Rom. 3:23); and that all human beings are sinful by nature and in need of redemption which is accomplished alone by the grace and power of God through the Lord Jesus Christ (John 3:16; Rom. 3:23, 24; 5:1, 2, 6-12; I Cor. 15:21, 22).
5. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures, as a representative and substitutionary sacrifice; and that all who believe in Him are justified freely on the ground of His sacrificial death, and become heirs of eternal life through His resurrection. (Rom. 3:24; Rom. 8:17; I Cor. 15:1-4; Gal. 3:28, 29; Titus 3:7).
6. We believe that God has always acted with grace and mercy to bring about salvation. A child of God is one who has been moved by the Holy Spirit to accept by faith the gift of eternal life which leads to repentance and the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior (Luke 13:3; John 16:8; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 11:18; Rom. 10:9,10; Eph. 2:8-10; I Pet. 1:3-5; I John 3:1).
7. We believe in the fellowship of believers visibly united in the local church (Acts 2). We believe in prayer (Matt. 6:5ff; Phil. 4:6, 7), the call to do God's will enabled by the power of the Holy Spirit according to the Word of God and a lifestyle of holiness and obedience (Eph. 4:17-5:20; I Pet. 1:15, 16). We believe in the reality of Satan and his kingdom of darkness which opposes the kingdom of light (Matt. 4:1-11; Eph. 6:10-18, I Pet. 5:8,9; I John 2).
8. We believe in the immortality of the soul (Luke 12:20; John 3:16, 17), the resurrection of the dead (I Cor. 15) and the translation of the living at the return of Christ (I Thess. 4:13ff). This is a future state determined by a just and righteous divine judgement either to life everlasting with God unto blessing for the saved, or to life everlasting apart from God unto condemnation for the lost (Matt. 25:31-46; II Cor. 5:10; II Thess. 2).