In Scripture, God progressively reveals His plan for the redemption of mankind and restoration of the fallen creation. Jesus revealed much of the plan, telling His followers that he would die for the sins of mankind and be raised, that He would return to His Father in heaven and send the Holy Spirit to indwell believers, and that He would build His Church and the gates of Hades would not overpower it. In Revelation 19 and 21 God reveals His intent to make everything new. He also speaks of the Church as the bride of Christ “clothed in fine linen, bright and clean” and of the direct dwelling of the redeemed with their God in the New Jerusalem, the Holy City.
Therefore according to God’s revealed plan our highest level purpose as a body is to “Join with Christ in Building His Church.” Although the whole counsel of God’s Holy Word can never be summarized adequately by men, the following are nine major biblical themes around which our Vision is organized. All nine collectively reflect ways to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. The first four center on our relationship with God. The second five are commands for living out our relationship with Him through our interaction with other believers and mankind in general:
- By the Word – Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God. (Matt. 4:4)
- Devoted to Prayer – Devote yourselves to prayer. (Col. 4:2)
- Spirit Led – For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. (Rom. 8:14)
- Worship God – God is spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth. (John 4:24)
- Go Into All The World – Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation. (Mark 16:15)
- Make Disciples – Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you. (Matthew 28:19-20)
- Build Oneness – Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion, make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose. Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves. (Phil. 2:1-3)
- Love your Neighbor – and if there is any other commandment, it is summed up in this saying, “YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.” (Rom. 13:9b)
- Be Faithful Stewards – “Let a man regard us in this manner, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God.” (I Cor. 4:1). “As each one has received a special gift; employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.” (1 Pet. 4:10). Our Vision is to administer the affairs of the church in an orderly manner to encourage and support the people who are called to serve. We know from Scripture that God is not the author of confusion in the church (I Cor. 14:33). This requires diligent planning and oversight, orderly administrative support and communication, wise use of technology, alignment of facilities to our Vision, and faithful stewardship of our finances.